40 days later, without a single unsolicited word from Sony at any point during the repair process, the BDP-S360 has returned. Seems to be working. Maybe I’ll just hold off on firmware updates, at least until a specific need demands one.
Shipped the self-destructed BDP-S360 back to Sony’s facility in Laredo, Texas on the 26th of October via UPS and it arrived their a few days later on the 30th. Waited a few days and heard nothing, no call, no email. Calling them (1-866-909-7669), I discover that a part necessary for the player’s repair has been […]
After updating the firmware via the network connection, the Sony BDP-S360 died. It just flashes “SYS ERR” on the screen now and Sony’s eSupport says it will have to be sent in for repairs. In 7 to 10 days, not including shipping time, I may (or may not) get back a functional player. I sure […]
Installed MythDora on a box cobbled together from parts and plugged it into the new TV. Bought a cheap cable card off ebay and plugged it in. Apparently, that was pointless, since the signal coming from the cable company is encrypted. MythTV doesn’t seem to see anything. The menu is far nicer to look at […]
With the Buffalo WHR-G300N flashed with DD-WRT as the main access point, and the Linksys WRT54G flashed with Tomato as the client bridge, the new subnet is operational. Really underwhelming experience, quite frankly. But it’s done.
I’ve decided to configure the Buffalo to replace the Linksys as the main access point for the home network. Once that’s done, assuming it works adequately, I will flash the Linksys with Tomato Firmware and see if that works any better as a client bridge.
It’s not just buying a new television; it’s upgrading everything even remotely TV-related. Current project: extending the home network because everything now wants access to the Internets. First strike: Buying the Buffalo WHR-G300N and flashing DD-WRT firmware onto it. The WHR-G300N’s internal antennae are pretty much crap, and the DD-WRT firmware (which is excellent stuff) […]